Life Upended

March 20, 2020: In our lifetimes, we have not seen a virus affect our daily comings and goings the way this one has. Since the World Health Organization (WHO) declared this pandemic on March 11, our daily routines have completely changed. Doug and I would ordinarily have a busy schedule this spring, even though we are retired. I would attend my weekly women’s curling league on Wednesday, knitting group at a coffee shop on Tuesday afternoon, writing group every other Wednesday, step aerobics classes on Wednesday and Sunday mornings, and a couple of monthly genealogy meetings. In addition to two curling nights, Doug would have orchestra practice on Wednesday nights, head the Granite Curling Club Finance Committee at twice-monthly meetings, and attend clarinet lessons with his teacher. We regularly meet our good friends, Bob and Phyllis, for dinner on nights we all volunteer as ushers at the local ACT Theater and Doug and I attend performances at other theaters. Everything we do in person with others has been wiped off our calendars. My one exception has been a twice-weekly walk, at a distance, with my neighbor Freddie Rice. Doug and I have taken a walk or two together in the neighborhood and Doug has continued his bicycling for exercise.

I am still able to do volunteer work for the US Women’s Curling Association, of which I am president this year. I can do that work at my laptop, by phone or online. I am following up with some of the 60 or so attendees at the recent national meeting, held in Seattle during the third week in February. At the end of that week, the Granite Curling Club hosted the annual USWCA-sponsored bonspiel, or curling tournament. 

This 72nd Annual National Bonspiel came off smoothly, just as in past years. As far as we know, no one at that event contracted COVID-19. I am grateful we were able to complete the events, in planning for more than a year. Had the coronavirus spread farther and faster, our events might have told a different story.

We are preparing for a quiet spring season at home and no clear roadmap beyond that.

What activities did you miss most in the first month?

    Cartoonist: Tom Janssen, The Netherlands, 3/13/2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Sight

Introduction - Read this first

Kitchen Re-org